In the News
- Construction Underway with Major Renovation for Fort Lauderdale MINI Dealership
- Miller Converts Industrial Space to Trendy Tapas Restaurant
- MCC Project Wins CASF Project of the Year
- Lane Hacker Joins Miller Construction Company as Controller
- Miller Building BMW East Showroom for Holman Automotive
- The Graham Companies Chooses Miller to Build New Education Facility
- Miller Construction Company Adds Three Executives
- Sudduth Named to UF School of Construction Management’s Advisory Council Executive Committee
- GuideWell-Sanitas Primary-Care Clinic Complete
- 602,657 SF Centergate at Gratigny
- Terranova Chooses Miller for Landmark Retail Project in South Beach
- Liberty Property Trust’s Metrorail Train Assembly Facility Complete
- Elite Healthcare Construction is Underway in Pembroke Pines
- Miller Construction Completes Third Phase At Lake Whitney Medical & Professional Campus
- Herbert Fung Joins Miller Construction Company as Project Manager
- Lake Whitney Medical and Professional Campus in St. Lucie
- City Furniture Chooses Miller Construction Company
- Miller Construction Company Building $20.8 Million Sereno at Bay Harbor Islands
- Miller Construction Company Completes Fort Lauderdale BMW/MINI Service Center
- Construction Association of South Florida Names Jeff Slade to Its Executive Board
- Project Manager, Justin Thorpe Joins Miller Construction Company
- Miller Construction's Special Projects Group Seeing Rapid Growth
- William Mason Joins Miller Construction Company’s Special Projects Group
- Ankit Patel Joins Miller Construction Company as Senior Preconstruction Manager
- Miller Construction Launches Major Renovation for Cosmo International Fragrances
- Miller Construction Company Completes Next-Generation Wharehouse
- Traci Miller Elected President of NAIOP South Florida
- Miller Construction Company Launches Special Projects Group
- Thomas & Harley Miller Are Inducted Into Construction Hall of Fame
- Building Mixed-Use Gateway Center Doral
- Holman Automotive Builds New Lauderdale BMW / Mini Service Center
- Miller Construction Company Will Build $22 Million Surfside Residence Inn by Marriott
- Flagler Development Taps Miller Construction Company For 252,000sf Project
- MCC Building 218,000 SF Transal Logistics Center in Doral
- Rose Miniaci Arts Education Center at Broward Center for the Performing Arts Gets Topped Off!
- Miller Construction Company Completes Flagler Development’s Latest South Forida Industrial /Warehouse
- Topping Off of Waterfront Huizenga Pavilion Marks Milestone
- MCC Awarded Flagler Development’s Building 31 Warehouse at Flagler Station
- Curtain Rising on Broward Center's Future
- New Ashley Furniture HomeStore in West Palm Beach
- Fisher Island Golf Club & Racquet Club Renovations Complete
- Fisher Island Club Spa & Fitness Center
- Two Local Construction Firms Will Complete Broward Center Project
- Renovation of Holman Automotive's Audi Pembroke Pines Dealership Complete
- MCC Fast-Tracks New Amenities at Rybovich Superyacht Marina
- Miller Construction Company Building Green Ashley Furniture HomeStore
- Going Green: LEED-HC Construction Standards Boost Hospitals’ Sustainability Efforts
- Miami International University's Professional Caliber Sound Studio
- Holy Cross Hospital Hurricane Hardening Project
- Best Practices Reduce Risks During Hospital Construction and Maintenance
- The Fast-Track Dos Caminos Restaurant Build-Out
- Kimberly Riehn, CPA, Joins Miller Construction Company As Controller
Miller Construction Company Building Green Ashley Furniture HomeStore
Oakland Park, FL – Meeting tough national standards for durable, “green” construction, Miller Construction Company is building a 25,000-square-foot Ashley Furniture HomeStore at 3775 N. Federal Highway, Oakland Park.
The latest addition to the Fort Lauderdale area’s Furniture Row, the store is scheduled to open in early 2013, according to Miller Construction Company President Harley W. Miller. “The store’s upscale finishes, lighting and displays will catch consumers’ attention, but they’re less likely to notice the high-performing features of the building itself,” he said.
For owner City Furniture, which is Ashley Furniture HomeStores’ South Florida licensee, Miller Construction is building the new store to achieve Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. Miller said the firm’s expert LEED construction team is focused on maximizing the store’s environmentally friendly potential – from conserving energy and water, to incorporating regionally-sourced materials and recycling 75 percent of construction waste.
The store is also being built to satisfy stringent loss prevention engineering standards of global property insurance giant FM Global, which go well beyond code requirements. Miller Construction Company brings experience in meeting FM Global’s structural standards, which work to protect assets and minimize the potential for losses.
“From our people and products to the stores themselves, taking extra care to build real and enduring value is in our company’s DNA,” said City Furniture President Keith Koenig. “Miller’s team takes the same approach, with the expertise to build in lasting value. We expect to realize ongoing savings through efficient energy and water use and lower insurance costs.” This is the 13th retail facility Miller has built or renovated for the furniture retailer throughout southeast and southwest Florida.
The new Ashley Furniture HomeStore at the corner of North Federal Highway and N.E. 38th Street is one of five stores City Furniture is adding throughout the Tri-County area. All are being built to achieve LEED certification, and will include “green” features such as expanses of low-emitting glass, super-high-efficiency air conditioning system and reflective roof coating. More than 90 percent of the Oakland Park store’s hundreds of light bulbs will be energy-conserving LED bulbs, and the all-concrete parking lot will absorb less heat than a conventional asphalt lot.
Inside the store, upscale – but energy friendly – features include a stone tower with a water-wall and an architectural trellis.